We are very proud to announce that Hayley Andrew and Charlotte Wainwright, our two apprentice bookbinders have recently completed their apprenticeship and are now fully fledged bookbinders. For the past few years, Hayley and Charlotte have been training under head Barnard & Westwood bookbinder, Barry Greenwood learning a wide range of different skills from case binding to gold hand-tooling. Over the last 7 months, the pair have been working on an external fine binding course alongside their day-to-day tasks. The course, taught by renowned fine binder Kathy Abbott, focuses on the construction of a bespoke, one-off book using the highest quality conservation-grade materials and fine binding techniques. In order to qualify as a fine binding, each book needs to contain certain traditional techniques including:
(In their projects, Hayley & Charlotte used Japanese tissue to achieve this)
Chamfered, laced on boards
Alongside the physical binding project, the course also taught key skills such as tool modification (in this case spokeshave) and the correct usage of different styles of blade.
Leather jointed endpapers
(Charlotte also used a screen print for the endpaper design and hand painted the foredge decoration to match)
Pared leather covering with matching doublures
Completing a fine binding takes at least 100+ hours and the finished books are considered to be the highest possible standard of bookbinding. Although the course itself has come to an end, both Hayley and Charlotte will be continuing to work on their projects for several weeks to finish off the final finishing touches. The skills and processes they have been learning during the course will prove invaluable as they progress with their bookbinding careers here at Barnard & Westwood.
- Ettinger X Rory Dobner Notebook Collaboration
- Hartley Botanic Die Stamped Business Cards
- Hayley & Charlotte – Barnard & Westood Bookbinding Apprenticeships
- Barnard & Westwood Internship – Lydia Blagden
- Beyond Bespoke – Aynhoe Park 2015: Luxury & Beyond
- Barnard & Westwood Internship – Lottie Small
- Having a scrum for PrintIT!
- Employee Ownership
- Barnard & Westwood catch up with their latest apprentice bookbinders – Hayley Andrew & Charlotte Wainwright
- Royal visit to see the best of British printing at Barnard & Westwood
- ‘The Scent Of Style’ – Thursday 30th January